The LAP-BAND® System Procedure
During the minimally-invasive LAP-BAND® procedure at our Dallas / Fort Worth area practice, an adjustable plastic band is inserted into the abdominal area through a laparoscopic incision. The band is then placed over a section of the upper stomach and is secured into position. You will have a port attached to the band that is placed flat against the muscle wall, below the fat and skin of your abdomen. At post-operative follow up visits, the band is inflated with saline to constrict the stomach chamber so that it holds less food and decreases hunger. Several adjustments may be necessary, although this depends upon the individual. Since the band is adjustable, it can be inflated or deflated at any time depending on the specific weight loss needs and goals of the patient. The procedure can be reversed if necessary gastric sleeve. Learn more about the LAP-BAND® System procedure by visiting our frequently asked questions section and read testimonials from actual patients who have undergone this state-of-the-art procedure on our testimonial page.
- Simple and relatively safe
- Major complication rate is low
- No removal of any part of the stomach intestines
- Short Recovery Period
- After surgery, your stomach volume is ~30-60ml
- Decreased hunger
- Long term failure rate due to balloon leakage, band erosion/migration, port infection
- Vomiting and nausea if food is not properly chewed or if food is eaten too quickly
- Weight re-gain known to re-occur if dietary changes are not followed long term
- Adjustments can be uncomfortable
Read about the steps you will take Before Lap-Band Surgery.
- Improvement of medical problems such as Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, as weight decreases.
- Less stress to the lower back and joints
- Ability to find and wear better-fitting clothes
- Increased self-esteem
- Overall healthier lifestyle