Weight loss surgery can not only help you achieve a slimmer body and heightened self confidence, but also may save your life. By helping you to lose significant amounts of weight and control your diet, bariatric procedures help resolve serious diseases and medical conditions associated with morbid obesity. Barnes Bariatric conducts comprehensive weight loss programs including pre-operative counseling and assessment, weight loss surgeries, and post-operative reviews and support to ensure patients achieve successful results.
Benefits of Gastric Bypass Surgery
Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery is one of the most commonly performed surgical procedures to combat morbid obesity. Patients with a body mass index (BMI) of 35 or higher (typically those who are 80-100 pounds over the average body weight to height ratio) have lost weight and kept it off after undergoing this procedure. Benefits of gastric bypass weight loss surgery include:
- Loss of 75 percent or more excess body weight on average
- Resolution of medical problems such as Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, and improvement or resolution of many other health conditions.
- Less stress to the lower back and joints
- Ability to find and wear better-fitting clothes
- Increased self-esteem
- Overall healthier lifestyle
Another benefit of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery is that the procedure is performed laparoscopically. The laparoscopic technique allows for smaller incisions in the abdomen, leading to less visible scarring, and considerably shortens the recovery time compared with traditional surgical techniques.
Benefits of Gastric Sleeve Surgery
Gastric sleeve surgery involves removing a significant portion of the stomach to curb the appetite and promote significantly less food intake. Gastric sleeve surgery is beneficial because it:
- Allows for significant weight loss, making the patient less apt to develop serious diseases and conditions.
- Laparoscopic surgical technique allows for minimal visible scarring and reduced recovery time.
- Unlike gastric bypass surgery, the intestines are not re-routed.
- Gives the patient a feeling of fullness after eating much smaller portions.
- Enhanced self-confidence.
Benefits of Revision Surgery
Revision weight loss surgery for procedures such as LAP-BAND® Adjustable Gastric Banding, Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass, gastric sleeve surgery, or other surgical weight loss treatments can address a variety of problems, complications, or adjustments that may present after the initial operation. These include:
- Staple-line failure
- Intractable ulcers
- Erosion or movement of the LAP-BAND® Adjustable Gastric Band
Additional, revision surgery can also help patients who are dissatisfied with the weight they are losing after the initial surgery.